- Gajalakshmi V, Peto R, Kanaka S, Balasubramanian S. Verbal autopsy of 48 000 adult deaths attributable to medical causes in Chennai (formerly Madras), India. BMC Public Health 2002; 2: 7 (16 May).
- Collaborative Group on Hormonal Factors in Breast Cancer (Dr.V. Gajalakshmi is one of the collaborators). Breast cancer and breastfeeding: collaborative reanalysis of individual data from 47 epidemiological studies in 30 countries, including 50 302 women with breast cancer and 96 973 women without the disease. Lancet 2002; 360: 187-95.
- Collaborative Group on Hormonal Factors in Breast Cancer (Dr.V. Gajalakshmi is one of the collaborators) Alcohol, tobacco and breast cancer - collaborative reanalysis of individual data from 53 epidemiological studies including 58 515 women with breast cancer and 95067 women without the disease. Br J of Cancer 2002: 87 (II): 1234-1245
- Balaram P, Sridhar H, Rajkumar T, Vaccarella S , R,Herrero , Nandakumar A, Ravichandran K, Ramdas K, Sankaranarayana R, Gajalakshmi V, Munoz N, Franceschi S. Oral Cancer in Southern India: the influence of smoking, drinking, paan chewing and oral hygiene. Int J cancer 2002; 98: 440-445.
- Tobacco use among youth: a cross country comparison. The Global Youth Tobacco Survey Collaborative Group. Tobacco Control 2002; 11: 252-270.
- Vebal Autopsy(VA) of adult deaths in Tamil Nadu, South India. Technical report of the Epidemiological Research Center. Gajalakshmi V. August 2002. Epidemiological Research Center, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Gajalakshmi V, Peto R. Tobacco epidemiology in Tamil Nadu. In: Tobacco research in India: proceedings of an expert meeting on supporting efforts to reduce harm . April 10-11, 2002, New Delhi, India
- Rajkumar T, Sridhar H, Balaram P, Vaccarella S, Gajalakshmi V, Nandakumar A, Ramdas K, Jayshree R, Munoz N, Herrero R, Franceschi S and Weiderpass E. Oral Cancer in Southern India: the influence of body size, diet, infections and sexual practices. European J Ca Prev. 2003; 12: 135-143
- Gajalakshmi V, Peto R. Verbal autopsy to evaluate completeness of cancer registration in Chennai (formerly Madras), India . Journal of Registry Management 2003; 30; 4-7.
- Rajkumar T, Franceschi S , Vaccarella S, Gajalakshmi V, Sharmila A, Snijders PJF, Munoz N, Meijer CJLM and Herrero R. Role of paan chewing and dietary habits in cervical carcinoma in Chennai, India. Br J Cancer 2003 ; 88:1388-1393.
- Znaor A, Brennan P, Gajalakshmi V, Mathew A, Shanta V, Varghese C, Boffetta P. Independent and combined effects of tobacco smoking, chewing and alcohol drinking on the risk of oral, pharyngeal and esophageal cancers in Indian men.Int J Cancer 2003; 105: 681-86.
- Gajalakshmi V, Hung RJ, Mathew A, Varghese C, Brennan P, Boffetta P. Tobacco smoking, chewing and alcohol drinking and lung cancer among men in Southern India. Int J Cancer 2003 ; 107:441-447.
- V.Gajalakshmi.“Diet and cancers of stomach, breast, lung and rectum in India” in the proceedings of the IX Asian Congress of Nutrition held at New Delhi, India in Feb. 23-27,2003.
- Sample Registration System: Verbal Autopsy Instruction Manual for Supervisors.
Prepared by Banthia JK, Sethi P, Jha P, Gajalakshmi V, Kumar R, Gururaj G, Gupta P, Mahapatra P, Sen U, Chalapathi Rao PV, Shenoy KT, Garg RC, Kumar S, Dey DK, Lopez A, Peto R, Office of the Registrar General, India, Ministry of Home Affairs, New Delhi, 2003.
- Franceschi S, Rajkumar T, Vaccarella S, Gajalakshmi V, Sharmila A, Snijders PJF, Munoz N, Meijer CJLM and Herrero R. Human papillomavirus and risk factors for cervical cancer in Chennai, India: A case-control study. Int J cancer 2003; 107: 127-33.
- Moore MA, Tajima K, Aydemir G, Basu PS, Bhurgri Y, Chen K, Gajalakshmi V, Hirose K, Mosavi-Jarrahi A, Ngoan LT, Qiao Y, Shin HR, Sriamporn S,
Srivatanakul P, Tokudome S, Yoo K, Tsuda H. Grand challenges in global
health and the practical prevention program? Asian focus on cancer prevention in
females of the developing world. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev. 2003: 4: 1-12.
- Gajalakshmi V, Peto R, Kanaka S, Jha P. Smoking and mortality from tuberculosis and other diseases in India: retrospective study of 43 000 adult male deaths and 35 000 controls. Lancet 2003: 362; 507-15.
It is one of the twenty best research papers nominated for
‘The Lancet’s Paper of the Year, 2003’.
- Gajalakshmi V, Peto .Verbal autopsy of 80 000 adult deaths in Tamilnadu, South
India. BMC Public Health 2004: 4; 47
Collaborative Group on Hormonal Factors in Breast Cancer (V. Gajalakshmi is one of the collaborator) Breast cancer and abortion: collaborative analysis of data from 53 epidemiological studies, including 83 000 women with breast cancer from 16 countries. Lancet 2004; 363: 1007-16
Gajalakshmi V. Smoking and tuberculosis deaths in India. Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy 2004
- Gajalakshmi V, Asma S, Warren CW. Tobacco survey among youth in south India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2004: 5; 273-78
Gajalakshmi V, Peto R. Smoking and pulmonary tuberculosis: mortality and morbidity in India. In: Tobacco India Report , Chapter 4: Assessment of etiological relationship with tobacco estimation of health consequences. 2004, India
- Jha P, Kumar R, Gajalakshmi V, Sinha D, Dikshit R, Dingra N, Seth J, Vasa P,
Jacob B, Tong O, Sethi R. Healthcare Professional’s Manual for Assigning Causes
of Death from Verbal Autopsy Reports. Ministry of Home Affairs,Govt. of India,
New Delhi 2004.
- Gajalakshmi V, Peto R Smoking and pulmonary tuberculosis. In: Bidi Monograph. 2005, India
Jha P, Gajalakshmi V, Gupta PC, Kumar R, Mony P et al Prospective study of one million deaths in India. Rationale, design, and validation results. PLOS Medicine 2006; 3(2): e18
Gajalakshmi V and Peto R. Commentary: Verbal autopsy procedure for adult deaths. Int J Epidemiology 2006; 35:748-50
- Gajalakshmi V, Peto R. Suicide rates in rural Tamil Nadu, South India:Verbal
autopsy of 39 000 deaths in 1997-98. Int J Epid 2007.doi:10:1093/ije/dy1308
- Sapkota A, Gajalakshmi V, Jetly D, Chowdary SR,Dikshit RP, Brennan P, Hashibe M, and Boffetta P.Smokeless Tobacco and Increased Risk of Hypopharyngeal and Laryngeal Cancers: A Multicentric Case-Control Study from India. Int J Ca 2007 (in press).
- Gajalakshmi V, Peto R, Kanimozhi CV, Whitlock G, Veeramani D. The Chennai Prospective Study of mortality among 500 000 adults in Tamil Nadu, South India. Int J Epid 2007. dci:10,1093/ije/dym0191
- Sapkota A, Gajalakshmi V, Jetly D>, Chowdary SR,Dikshit RP, Brennan P, Hashibe M, and Boffetta P. Indoor Air Pollution from Solid Fuel Usage and Risk of Hypopharyngeal/Laryngeal and Lung Cancers: A Multicentric Case-Control Study from India. Int J Ca 2007 (in press).